28 July 2010

Sacrifice

I know as parents you will do most anything for your kids, and most of the time it comes with a great deal of sacrifice on your part. I'm sure my parents sacrificed more than I will ever actually know for some of the things I want and most of the things I needed. I am beginning to believe that the 9 months of pregnancy is really the slowest, most gradual way into this sacrifice called Parenthood. It all starts with your sanity the moment you learn you're pregnant, whether that comes with great enthusiasm or fear. Over time you sacrifice your meals, if you can even get them down in the first place, your ability to sleep long comfortable hours, even your "fat clothes" become obsolete as you have to buy a new wardrobe. And if you had anything like my java-a-day habit, you sacrifice your addiction to caffeine even though the need for it feels stronger than ever.

In many ways I look forward to the sacrifices that come along with becoming a mother and at the same time I am terrified of not being able to sacrifice enough to provide for my little ones in the ways I would hope. Though I'm sure as a mother the joy you have from loving your child to the greatest of your abilities greatly outweighs the sacrifices that come along with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment