08 August 2010

Project Nursery!

After weeks of looking at countless crib bedding sets Daniel and I finally agreed on one! This proved to be a harder task than I thought it would be. You see, I am a fan of loud obnoxious colors! Daniel is not. I love and adore polka dots, Daniel on the other hand loathes them. As we looked over picture after picture of bedding I began to realize that if I pointed out one I liked and it caused Daniel's eyes to bug out and his lips to pucker as if he ate something sour, it probably would not be one added to his "favorites list." We also had a few other curve balls thrown in on our decision making process. The nursery is rather small so we wanted to pick a paint color that would not be dark and "shrink" the room and at the same time not be too loud and overwhelming for such a small space. We agreed that if it was a girl we would paint the room lavender. We had to consider this as we narrowed our list of bedding. Again, harder than it seems. So for our little Daisy's crib bedding we chose: Plum Blossom! We ordered the bedding right away so we could have it in person to compare paint colors to. We didn't want to risk choosing a color and then the bedding showing up looking a different tone than the picture! We had a book of paint swatches with sticky note tabs marking our favorite colors. As soon as the bedding came in we sat down with it and our book and narrowed the colors down, eliminating the "too blue"s and "too pink"s. We settles on Lavender Lane by Pittsburgh paints. Instead of installing blinds in the nursery we are hanging a pair of sheer white curtains over the window. On a separate curtain rod we are hanging this adorable pair of Purple Berry curtains that we can close to filter out the light when little one is sleeping! During the day we will probably have them pulled back with a tie of some sort. *Note to self: a daisy chain tie back may be a nice little accent! If you haven't notice yet, my head is overflowing with ideas of this nursery! I'm still figuring out ways to pull it all together, and it's happening, slowly but surely. Once we get the room painted, (which will hopefully take place this week!) I will be painting a mural on the wall next to the window. I haven't nailed down the exact design but it will be something similar to this one: I plan on having only one dandelion though and it will bend a little towards the crib and the petals will be blowing over the crib. I'm not sure if I am going to paint it white, off-white, or more like the real thing with a green stem. Another "must have" for the nursery is this fabulous lamp shade! I will be attempting to make this shade to go on an old wrought iron lamp that I have painted black to match the rest of the furniture. This is another one of those ideas that has caused my husband's eyes to bulge and say "Wow that is a lot of flowers!" He did mention that he would welcome the idea a little more if it was broken up a little bit, so we discussed throwing in a few pink daisies and he calmed at the idea. In another corner of the room I plan on hanging a few of these paper lanterns. I have one above my nightstand acting as my bedside lamp and it cast the softest glow to our bedroom. It's a lot calmer than the harsh lighting of an ordinary lamp or over head light, especially if it has to be turned on in the middle of the night. I have 2 small white decorative ones that I will be hanging along with a large one of an undecided color. I'm choosing between pink, purple, or a pale green. This is the only one that will have an actual light in it so I want to choose a color that will cast a nice hue over the room when turned on. And last but certainly not least on my "must have" list is a chenille shag rug! We have hardwood floors throughout our house so a rug for the nursery is a must! We have two of these already, one as our bath mat and another in front of our kitchen sink. They are AMAZING! You have never felt something so wonderful beneath your feet unless you've wiggles your toes in this! We're deciding between pale pink, black, or a soft green for the rug. If it's pink it will forever have to be in a girls room. If it's black or green we can use it in our next baby's nursery, so it will work for a boy or girl. Decision, decisions, decisions! All I know is I have to have one!

No comments:

Post a Comment