02 September 2010

The belly ring vs the baby bump

I made reference in my last post to my nephew pointing at my belly ring and calling it "ouie!" and I figured this may be a helpful post to those mamas-to-be out there that have their belly button pierced and would like to keep it that way. I got my belly button pierced when I was 18 and that is something I never want to experience again! I am NOT a fan of needles! I am being optimistic in hoping that my belly will one day take a shape similar to it's pre-pregnancy growth spurt and a belly ring won't look completely ludacrous. Being that I do not want to get it re-pierced and am afraid of taking it out and risking it growing back together I searched for alternatives.

I found a couple pregnancy belly rings with cute "It's a boy!" and "It's a girl!" charms online but they ran upwards of $25! That seemed a little pricey to me, I figured there had to be a cheaper option. I went to the local tattoo parlor my husband and I use and I asked the owner if they carried anything like that or if they could order something from one of their catalogs. She had just the thing for me! It's a maternity belly ring kit! It cost $25 but gave more options than just one single ring for the same price! It took about a week for her to receive the order and it was well worth the wait! She cut me off a few loops of this flexible tubing and gave me several colored stone and solid silver balls. You just cut the tubing to the length you need based on how big your belly is, usually one length for 2nd trimester and a longer length for 3rd. Once you cut the tubing you use the balls to make the threads. Thankfully Daniel ingeniously thought about using a pair of flat nose pliers without the teeth to hold the tubing while threading the balls on. If you just tried holding the tubing while threading the balls on they both just seemed to slip and progress was very slow!


Ive been using this pregnancy belly ring since about 4 months as my belly started to get a lot tighter and my belly button quickly started turning into an outie! I'm pretty sure by the time I'm 9 months pregnant my belly button is going to look like the end of a balloon!

1 comment: